A New Year, new beginnings and lots of resolutions that we are unable to keep. I spent the last few days dreaming and planning for the next year. But more than that I prayed for wisdom, asking God for a Scripture that I can hold on to when times get tough, when I am tired and when I don’t have the strength to go on. As I am sharing this with you, I ask that you hold me to it! I need your support to keep me grounded in His Word, His Promise, His Instructions.
Proverbs 3:5,6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.”
To be honest, when I first read this, I thought it was a ‘good old standard’ while I was hoping for something extraordinary….. but soon reading the context of it, it spoke more to me. Because this is really a ‘conditional promise’…..at least that is what I call it.
Here are the conditions (meaning my responsibilities):
1. Do not forget His teachings – spend enough time in God’s Word to know it
2. Be loving and faithful – don’t get so easily be bent out of shape
3. Do not be wise in your own eyes – don’t become arrogant
4. Honor God with your resources – He is the keeper of all resources, spend it wisely
5. Don’t walk away from His discipline – be open to Him, don’t fear His discipline
6. Seek wisdom – don’t do it alone, surround yourself with wise council
7. Preserve sound judgment – don’t judge, that’s God’s job
8. Don’t fear disaster – it will happen, don’t worry
9. Don’t withhold goods – use His resources, don’t hoard them
10.Trust God and don’t lean on your own understanding
And somewhere in it comes His promise “He will make your paths straight”.
So, I guess it is not a ‘good old standard’ but has just raised my responsibility to living right if I also want the blessing!
For 2011 I ask of you that you help me live out my part of the promise!